Friday, October 14, 2011

The Silent Ballad of Doctor Teeth

James is yelling again, I can’t recall why. He is being too loud. If I could build the courage, I would beg him to quiet down. I can’t, I can’t make the slightest of noises. If James continues being so loud, he will come. He is the reason I am so quiet. He demands my silence; or would, if he ever spoke.

His name is Dr Teeth, and he has taken care of me for as long as I can remember. Whenever bad things happened, he would step in. With a big smile, he just came along and fixed it all. My father, who yelled and beat me, the huge dog that lived next door who snarled and bit me, my abusive ex boyfriend... he took care of each one.

James bellows something that makes me look up. A forehead peeks around the door frame behind James; a giant grin slowly follows. The smile is full of yellow teeth, the grin distracts from the rest of his nightmarish face. My gasp rings through my ears, but James ignores me, still screaming in anger. I try to use my eyes to plead with him. Dr Teeth doesn’t like noise; the last thing I want is….

Behind James, Dr Teeth creeps forward. Every movement made is silent, slow and exaggerated. James slams his fist into his hand. His punches are loud, fast, and expressing his anger. He tells me my puppy dog eyes won't be enough this time. My eyes dart between the two moving figures. As Dr Teeth nears James I do the unthinkable, I very meekly say, “please be quiet”.

James reaches back to slap me. Before his hand moves to hit me his whole body is spun around. Dr Teeth quickly, elegantly, quietly, moves his arm in an arc. The sound of blood gurgling from the wound echoes through the room. James falls onto the couch next to me, his throat cut cleanly. The blood spills onto my lap. I try to remain silent. Dr Teeth cleans off his switchblade, his smile reflecting in the shimmer of the metal.

When things in my life get too loud and scary, Dr Teeth comes along to save me. The first time he to my rescue, my father was found hanging in the bedroom, his belt around his neck... the neighbor's dog had his head crushed by a giant rock... my ex boyfriend was..... oh God, not again.

I look up at Dr Teeth through tear soaked eyes, his grin is gone and he's shaking his head at me. His cold finger touches my lips; he wants me to be quiet. I can't take it anymore. I'm tired of controlling myself for him. My crying gets louder, I wail, all the years of silent obedience are released. I scream so loud the apartment shakes. Dr Teeth is taken aback, there seems to be a look of confusion on his face. I stop crying and look up at him. He cocks his head to the side taking an appraisal of me. His grin slowly creeps its way across his face.

Shaking, I stand up. Dr Teeth is still watching me, his ugly grin glowing at me. I open my mouth and scream. The apartment shakes. I fall back onto the couch. I let the tears pour out. I remain loud as possible, releasing my frustrations.

Dr Teeth thrusts his arm out, there should be sound as the switchblade opens. Dr Teeth never makes any noise. He puts a finger to his lips, his other hand swinging down. The sharp blade swoops towards me. He finally makes a noise.

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No comments:

Post a Comment