Monday, November 7, 2011

Old NaNoWriMo Steampunk Thing

This is a short thing from a past NaNoWriMo that I thought I would share. Set in a steampunk China, it is the start of the long war between China and Japan in the late 1800s, but you know more steampunky.

We woke before sunrise in preparation. My platoon gathered our weapons and neared the front line in anticipation of the Japanese forces. There ships were seen landing on shore the evening before and an attack was imminent. At dawn we all prayed to the Gods for safety and victory, it was the last time I saw many of my men smile. A little bit after dawn we saw the first enemy banner. Seven large boats that moved across the earth came forward.

One of their soldiers carrying a banner rode a horse close to us. He was obviously unarmed so we allowed him to move but watched the walls closely. Every last gun in our possession was set on this man and the land ships behind him.

The man cried out, “We ask that you put your guns away and surrender peacefully. Give praise to our he Emperor and we will let you live.”

The men were sure it was all a ruse and laughed. The soldier yelled out, “Very well” and then returned to the seven land ships. The ships were out of our range... not that I think it would have mattered, not with what was on them.

The front of the massive land ships opened and huge armored behemoths walked from them. They spewed out steam as they moved, obscuring themselves. These machines were the size of three men and the earth itself shook as they moved toward us. I could hear fearful remarks from my men. I ordered them to hold themselves, do they not remember who they were? Once the first machine was within range we fired a lobby of shots. Heat filled the air as our bolts flew forward. I remember holding my breath, waiting for the steam to clear. Surely 100 shots would reduce the machine to rubble. These things seemed to have no ranged attacks, we would have this whole battle won in minutes.

Then I saw the machine continue to lumber forward. It hesitated for a second then picked up speed. The steam behind it increased as it raced towards my men. We fired shot after shot, our best weapons were fired at this thing and it barely slowed. Cannons made direct contact with the monstrosity, our attacks only succeeded in killing our spirits.

When the machine made it to us my men were already scattering. Many of the platoons were already in chaos. Any that weren't soon were. Their machine ran through several soldiers, leaving puddles of blood where they once stood. The thing's arms would reach out and strike down men with no issue. Steam continued to pour out of it causing even more confusion as men tried to fight or flee. I tried to call for retreat, not that it mattered anymore.

I started to flee, grabbing one of my men who was either too stupid or scared to move. We made our way back towards the camp as another machine appeared from the mass of steam. It had a giant sword in it's arm, it was shaped like a katana and it sliced easily through soldiers. The soldier I was with was decapitated by the blade. I threw my weapons down and tried to show the machine I was no longer armed. The monstrosity looked my way, or at least faced me and then quickly went away from me continuing it's attack.

About ten minutes later I had made it away from that field of death. A handful of our men were there to meet me and a few more staggered in afterwards. Soon the battle field cleared of steam and we saw the amount of death those machines had caused. Hundreds of men were mutilated. As the highest ranking officer left alive and in the area, I was the one who agreed to our defeat. These machines will be the end of us. They are unstoppable.

Signed Sergeant Yao Tsing 4th Platoon of the Silver Army

No comments:

Post a Comment