Thursday, November 17, 2011

more comic reviews from 11/16

Avengers #19 - I am a bit of a sucker for team forming stories, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I liked this issue which introduces the "new" Avengers team. I say it like that because really they are just out a member or two and replace them with Storm and a former Avenger who is a fan favorite who I did miss. It also seems like Spider-Man and Wolverine are off the team which is good, they are both on two other teams, Avengers will do fine without em. Now though I admit how much of a sucker I am, this issue did have some hitches, like Storm appearing and then being shoved aside mid sentence for the mystery Avenger (which is fine in and of itself but I hope this isn't how she is treated for good), and a few too many random asides and conversations that don't add much to the story, but that is Bendis for you. I do have two fanboyish gripes though, first I thought everyone forgot that Thor ever existed and was replaced perpetually by the new thunder god? If so I don't think Bendis got the message, this is the second Avengers issue post Fear Itself to discuss missing Thor, just seems like he doesn't care about the ideas of others. My other thing is that at the end a villain shows up to make a ruckus and it made me wonder, do the Avengers go out and stop evil anymore? Or does it always come to them? Besides that though, as I said I'm a sucker for these stories. 4/5

Fear Itself #7.3 - With this issue the 7 issue Fear Itself finally ends its 10 issue run. Like 7.1 and 7.2 (I hate the point system by the way) these are really just an issue of the main book of whoever is starring in the given issue (this time Iron Man) and "resolve" something doing with Fear Itself. Thus far by resolve it has meant undoing a major event, like (spoilers)


In 7.1 we find out Bucky Barnes never actually died, Nick Fury and Black Widow replaced him with a fake to force Steve Rogers to return as Cap, which understandably pisses Cap off but at the end he agrees and it ends happy. 7.2 does something similar and finishes with Thor opening his eyes.

Now in 7.3 we get another major event in Fear Itself being nullified by the definition of dues ex machina, and it pulls it off...mostly. It only works because it is built in such a way that you want the villain to pay, want horrible things to happen to them because of all the right heartstrings being pulled by the incident which gets over turned. As far as take backs go it isn't all that badly done and makes you a bit happy about it, until you really think about it. In this comic Iron Man who is the title character of this issue, doesn't do anything. He doesn't solve the problem, he just mopes and wines and contemplates murdering a defenseless man. The latter by the way becomes irrelevant later on and makes Tony seem a bit of a dick. But on first read through the book works, gets the response it wants and only after thinking about it do you find the flaws. 3/5

Walking Dead #91 - At this point in time you either read the Walking Dead or you don't. The art is great as always and the story is still moving along. This issue is a little bit more resolution and build up over the last few issues of big events. It is a breather issue while giving Sophie (who needs to be found in the show already) and Andrea (who could just die already in the show) a few good character moments. If anything my only criticism is as a stand alone issue this doesn't offer much, unlike the more recent ones, but it will work great in the trade. 4/5

Incredible Hulk #2 - I don't know what I think about Bruce Banner being an immoral mad scientist trying to get the Hulk back after seperating them. I also don't know about undoing the excellent ending to Pak's run on Hulk off panel. But it has happened and we must move on when dealing with corporate comics and I shall. The Banner parts of this story just don't jive with me. I can't see him experimenting on anything and everything due to being sad he isn't Hulk anymore, especially what he does at the end, pure evil move; I also don't see Betty/She-Hulk leaving like she does in a flashback outside of editorial mandate so she can be in the Defenders. So that part of the book doesn't work for me. The Hulk part where he fights giant sharks on the other hand, now that works! Why can't the book just be that? The mysterious government woman who keeps flirting with Hulk can die though, don't care one bit. Just give me Hulk fighting giant monsters! The art is a bit of an issue, the issue got a ton of flack for many fill in artists on this the second issue and from an Image founder at that, many jokes flew. But since Silvestri is apparently dealing with a medical problem it is very understandable. The art won't impact the final result which I'm afraid is a bit low due to Banner weirdness. 2/5

Wonder Woman #3 - Did I read a weirdly mixed issue? It felt to me like the first dozen pages were in the wrong order, I should have tried a different copy to find out for sure. Besides that little snafu though, this continues an interesting take on the Amazon. We find out in this issue that Diana wasn't made from clay after all and that her mother actually had an affair with Zeus himself to conceive her. The story of lust and keeping it hidden from bards and Gods alike takes up a bit of the issue as is building to it and resolving it. This issue is sadly a bit of filler and makes me question why did WW ever go to Paradise Island in the first place when she just turns around and leaves. I'm still invested in this story after the first two issues, but this one added nothing beyond giving WW a daddy and showing angry Amazons. Thankfully the art is still wonderfully done and I am invested from before. 3/5

Witch Doctor #4 - what a fun ride this book has been! With this issue our good doctor and his lackeys fight Cthulhu's Deep Ones in only a way a doctor of the occult could. This issue is also the first to start tying things together, showing the greater world outside of the occult medical emergencies and start to thread it all together. This is the final issue of this series, with a one shot coming out shortly and another series to follow shortly. If you haven't been reading this I highly recommend picking up the trade when it is released since odds are your comic shop criminally under ordered this. 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment